Welcome to One Busy Momma! The Blog for Busy Moms by one Busy Mom.....

Welcome to my blog. One Busy Momma is my space to rant about my life and the things that happen in it. I have a crazy life - and instead of focusing on the crazy - I like to focus on the funny. Because if I focused on the craziness - well, I'd have been shipped off to an institution long, long ago. And while, I'll admit, there are some days when being institutionalized sounds PRETTY GOOD compared to making ANOTHER diorama at 1am - I'd rather be right where I am - in my messy house with my not so perfect kids making crooked dioramas in the middle of the night.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Birthday PALOOZA!!!!!! Or Not....

Hey there my Peeps! How is everyone today? Spring has FINALLY finally sprung here on the East Coast- hope everyone is enjoying it.We are enjoying what I like to call BIRTHDAY PALOOZA over here in Busy Momma land. Jack turned 9 yesterday - holy cow! My baby is 9!!! And Bella - my beautiful, bouncing baby girl will be 12 on Friday. How on earth did THAT happen? 12?!?!?!? So this is the time of year that drives this Busy Momma into overdrive because it is birthday party season.

You see - while Busy Momma doesn't bake elaborate cakes - Busy Momma DOES like to plan ridiculously elaborate birthday parties. And by ridiculous - I mean over-the-top, insanely detailed parties. PC just LOVES this time of year. He gets roped into doing all sorts of crazy stuff that normally he would never ever have seen himself doing - like donning a FULL ON Prince Charming suit and being the Prince at one of Bella's princess-themed birthday parties. Or dressing up as Darth Varder and invading Jedi Training Camp at one of Jack's parties. (OK - that was his ultimate dream and I didn't hear one word of complaint about that one.He complained bitterly about the doublet and tights for Prince Charming.And No - there are NO photos.)

This year my party planning madness is limited to Bella. Jack wanted his party to be at Medieval Times. Which was AWESOME! Crazy expensive...but it was a GREAT time. You know it is a well-run experience when the adults, the 12-year old and the 9-year olds ALL loved it. If you've never done it I highly recommend it. And while it was super-fun - there was no planning or prep on my part. So all of my creative juices are now going to be flowing to Bella...and she's not happy about it. Where as, at one time, she appreciated my crazy, I mean spirited party planning, this year she's all "It's just 3 girls Mom." And "Like, I just want to have them sleepover and hang out. No big deal."

What I WANT to say is: "No big deal??? WHAT? It is a HUGE deal! You are turning 12!!! You are on the cusp of womanhood! You are straddling childhood and adulthood. This is a pivotal time in your life and for GOD'S SAKE you WILL REMEMBER THIS BIRTHDAY IF IT KILLS ME!"

What I actually said was: "Oh, OK. That's cool. But we sort of should plan a few small games or activities - you know. Just in case people get bored or don't like the movie or something."

And her response KILLED me:

Bella: "Like what? Mom seriously. Nothing crazy."

Like what does she think I am going to plan? A rousing game of Musical Chairs? A face painter?  A game of Around the World with multiplication flash cards? For the love of God - I've been 12. I KNOW that she doesn't want her MOTHER running games and activities like Julie the Cruise director. LAST year we had a Hunger Games sleepover and we played The Hunger Games - with weapons and people getting fake killed and it was awesome...until it started to rain and the games were suspended without a victor.But it was STILL awesome.


So - this year I have a co-party planner. I have to run EVERYTHING past the birthday girl. No surprises, nothing that might be "not cool". Whatever that might be...

But, I guess that is how it should be. She's getting older. Pulling away a bit. Exerting her new-found independence and freedom - a bit. She has definite opinions about what she wants and doesn't want.

Yes to after dark glow-in-the-dark candy hunt, spin the nail polish bottle, and chocolate fondue.

No to Pin the Kiss on Edward Cullen, make your own pillow-cases and friendship bracelet making.

Maybe to S'mores making, Beach-Ball questions game and some other activities.

So - now I'm off to Michael's and Jo Anne's and the dollar store to gather my supplies for the pre-approved list of games and activities. I feel like I'm planning a party with Hitler. I cannot imagine the agonizing that picking out a movie or two will entail. Anything " cool" I have already vetoed. Sorry - but I'm not showing a room full of 6th graders vampires having bed-breaking sex. Also not showing a movie that looked so awful that the PREVIEW  scared the crap out of me! Guess we'll have to be uncool with the movie.

I have a feeling that the upcoming teen years are going to be filled with quite a bit of give and take. I'll GIVE on the unimportant stuff - party games, favors - no problem. I will NOT give on the important stuff - like vampire sex, dating, and cut-off short-shorts.

So - I guess my days of planning elaborate birthday parties are coming to an end. It makes me sad...I'll have to find another outlet for my creativity. I wonder if it is too early to sign up for the Senior Prom Planning Committee?

No comments:

Post a Comment