Welcome to One Busy Momma! The Blog for Busy Moms by one Busy Mom.....

Welcome to my blog. One Busy Momma is my space to rant about my life and the things that happen in it. I have a crazy life - and instead of focusing on the crazy - I like to focus on the funny. Because if I focused on the craziness - well, I'd have been shipped off to an institution long, long ago. And while, I'll admit, there are some days when being institutionalized sounds PRETTY GOOD compared to making ANOTHER diorama at 1am - I'd rather be right where I am - in my messy house with my not so perfect kids making crooked dioramas in the middle of the night.

Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year - New You?

Happy 2012 Peeps! I hope everyone had a "Rocking New Year's Eve"! This is the FIRST year that I can say that the ENTIRE Busy Momma Crew made it to midnight! We all were awake to see the ball drop - quite an accomplishment for this crew.  And as we are about to close the curtains on the second official day of the New Year, I am actually thinking about setting some resolutions.

Now for those of you who know me well - resolutions aren't my thing. First of all - I really see New Year's Resolutions as a dangerous diving board into the deep, dark pool of failure and shame. Of course we'd all LOVE to lose 10, 30, 60 pounds and fit back into our wedding gowns. And I'm sure many of us would really like to stop watching "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" in favor of other, more highbrow and worthwhile programming - like "The Bachelor." But as my darling sis-in-law says "those Kardashians just suck you in!" And I agree - they do, they really do.. I think it's the eye makeup and fake eyelashes that mesmerize me...but I digress. We'd all love to stop reading People magazine in favor of The Economist or even Newsweek...in theory. But here's the thing -  how many of us will actually do what it takes to lose the weight and break up with Kim, Khloe, Kourtney and the rest of the crew?  Not many of us - not many of us at all. And that doesn't make us bad people - it makes us human.

I have a theory about why SO many people fail when it comes to New Year's resolutions. Most resolutions focus on denying ourselves - doing without. Losing weight, reigning in our spending, watching less reality tv, getting up at the butt-crack of dawn to work out...all of these resolutions, while fantastic goals, all center around deprivation and sacrifice. And one can only deprive one's self for so long. And in the current economic climate -we all have ENOUGH to worry about! We NEED our Kardashians and our People magazine fixes and the occasional tube, I mean spoon, of Tollhouse cookie dough.

That is why my goals for 2012 are a bit different. I am going to focus on "improvement" and "life enhancement" rather than deprivation and sacrifice. (At least that is what I am going to tell myself!)So, without any further ado - here are Busy Momma's Resolutions for 2012:

  1. Busy Momma is going to focus on taking care of her busy self. You see, while I know that I don't look a day over 25 - Busy Momma is hurtling down the road to 40-town. I know - you can't believe it, right? Damn, I look good...but again, I digress.  40 is right around the corner. 40 is actually 374 days away from today. In 374 days, I will be 40! And while I am usually not the type to fret about aging, 40 is kind of a big deal. So, I am really going to try to practice a bit of "Momma care" as I care for everyone around me. Things are amiss in Busy Momma's life when the DOGGIE visits the salon more than me! So, this year will be the year that I fit in exercise on a more regular and consistent  basis, I go and have that full body scan by the dermatologist that I have been putting off, I make healthier eating choices and I cut back on the sauce. And by sauce - I mean Diet Coke. I really need to wean myself off of diet soda and drink more water and green tea. And if these changes result in a 60-pound weight loss - then great. If they result in me feeling great and more energetic - then that's even better. (Although fitting back into my wedding dress and honeymoon bikini would be really swell - who am I kidding?)
  2. Busy Momma is going to spend this coming year PURGING! You see, we have a terrible, dirty little secret, and I am revealing it here for the world to see. If you've been to my home recently, you will have noticed that we have redecorated our main living areas - living room/office, family room and the powder room is "in process". Things are organized and lovely. But here is the terrible truth- we live in a chaos sandwich. Yup - that's right. It's a sandwich made of a  lovely main floor nestled beautifully between two layers of mess! Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not living an episode of "Hoarders" over here - another show I really could do without. We just have accumulated a lot of "stuff" - Barbies, Hot Wheels, books, craft supplies, stuffed animals - and all of it has been lovingly "tossed" into bedrooms or into the black hole that is the basement. And it's time to declutter, and focus on redoing those rooms. The kids are at an age where they really need to transition from their little kid decor and get a bit more sophisticated. (Which makes me laugh out loud right now thinking of little Jack in a smoking jacket, with a pipe between his teeth, reading the latest Junie B. Jones book!) But I can't possibly redecorate anything without doing a thorough purge first. So, I am going to create a month-by-month schedule and tackle one room per month. And I am starting with MY room. You know how Oprah and Nate Berkus always say that your bedroom should be your "haven" and your "retreat"? Well, right now, my bedroom currently houses one dog crate, one VERY OLD mattress and boxspring, my bedroom furniture that is way too matchy matchy for my tastes these days, a comforter set that has been thrown up on one too many times, an overflowing bookshelf, way too much scrapbooking stuff, and a variety of things under the bed. These things include, but are not limited to old magazines, long lost remotes, several headless, naked Barbie dolls, random Monster Trucks, some Legos and God only knows what else. The time has come. So, January is my room, February is Jack's, March will be Bella's room, and in April we will begin tacking the basement. I think the basement might take longer than a month. I will keep you all updated on that project. 
  3. Busy Momma is taking her blog to the next level! In the 2 years that I have been blogging, I have rediscovered my love of writing. And while I don't profess to be all that great at it - many of you have been kind enough to tell me how much you've enjoyed reading certain posts and that makes me feel TERRIFIC! I LOVE reading your comments on the blog or on Facebook. So, this is the year that Busy Momma is going to expand. I have a lot of plans, including starting a Facebook page for Busy Momma, opening up advertising space on the blog, attending a "Bloggy Bootcamp" in May to help me connect with other bloggers and so much more. So be on the lookout for improvements to the blogs and good things to come. Some of you have expressed interest in buying ad space on the blog - hang tight. I'm in the process of learning how to do that. And if you know anyone - a Mom-trepreneur  who is looking to expand her business - introduce them to the blog and who knows? Maybe we can help one another grow! 
So that's it my Peeps - my resolutions for 2012. I'd love it if you would share YOUR resolutions with ME! I will keep you all up-to-date with my declutter project. It is sure to involve some hilarity if PC and I have to purchase any kind of furniture that needs to be assembled. Lots of love and good wishes to you guys as we enter 2012! 

No comments:

Post a Comment