Welcome to One Busy Momma! The Blog for Busy Moms by one Busy Mom.....

Welcome to my blog. One Busy Momma is my space to rant about my life and the things that happen in it. I have a crazy life - and instead of focusing on the crazy - I like to focus on the funny. Because if I focused on the craziness - well, I'd have been shipped off to an institution long, long ago. And while, I'll admit, there are some days when being institutionalized sounds PRETTY GOOD compared to making ANOTHER diorama at 1am - I'd rather be right where I am - in my messy house with my not so perfect kids making crooked dioramas in the middle of the night.

Monday, October 7, 2013

It's the little things in life....


What makes you happy? Have you ever stopped to think about ALL of the things that really and truly make you happy? Not the things that MIGHT make you happy if they were to come your way - like a winning Powerball ticket....

OK - if you are of a certain age...this image ALONE should make you happy! (It's not unusual to be loved by anyone....)
Well this Busy Momma HAS thought about all of the little things that make her happy. Because after all, it really IS true that the little things in life are the things that can make us the happiest. I mean sure - if I do someday find myself in possession of the winning Powerball ticket - I will be doing the Carlton dance - trust me. But until then - I have to try to find happiness in the everyday. We all do! So - here are a few of the VERY little things that make this Busy Momma VERY happy:

1. Taco Night - Crazy - right? But tonight was taco night here at Chez Ruff. And it is what got me thinking about this topic of happiness and how it really is the little things in life that make us happy. I worked all day on the Eastern Shore - and I had a start time of 8am...which meant I had to be there NO LATER than 7:30 am which meant a 5am wake up call. Now - for those of you who know me...5 am is the definition of "the middle of the night" for me. I am NOT a morning person. So tonight, as I was standing at the stove, browning my ground turkey for our tacos, I said "God, I love taco night." Right out loud - to no one in particular. Because it's so darned easy to make tacos. It takes less time to make tacos than to find the number for takeout and figure out what everyone wants and call and order and have it delivered. I can be CLEANED UP from taco night by the time the delivery guy would get here from Wok Around the Clock!And, this makes me happy.

2. Ice - yes, you read it correctly - ice. Ice makes me happy.

When I think of my life without ice - I want to cry. I use ice more than your average bear you see. Of course I use ice to chill my Diet Dr. Pepper - like the rest of you. But I'm not your average bear when it comes to ice and its uses. Remember - it's me - Busy, Accident-Prone Momma
I tend to break myself...without really trying. There was the time I got the stress fracture of my hip by training to run a 5K...and the time I broke bones in my foot by wearing heels that were way too high.....then there was that time I fractured my skull when I fell off of that exercise ball and bashed my head into the base of the couch....and who can forget the broken toes when I accidentally kicked the wall covered in tiles...then there was the time that I threw my back out by dancing the night away in heels that were ridiculously high...must I go on? I haven't even MENTIONED all of the sunburns and cooking burns. And I won't even tell you why I REFUSE to sit on a bike seat for more than a few minutes...let's just say that THAT particular injury required ice...and LOTS of it.ICE saved the day in all of these scenarios where I have broken bits and pieces of myself. It's a freaking MIRACLE for those of us who are accident prone. 
And I haven't EVEN mentioned how much of a life saver ice is when my good friend Peri comes to visit. Remember her? That BITCH Peri-menopause who has now just dug her heels in and taken residence in my body. This peri-menopause thing is NO joke people. No joke. These hot flashes are for real and apparently - they are here to stay. This is how I feel at LEAST once a day:

No joke. And once the flashes start - they are here to stay. Ice is the ONLY remedy. I drink ice water by the bucket because I am convinced that it cools me down from the inside out. I put ice packs all over my body if I am home - and trust me that's quite attractive for a husband to come home to - a wife - DRIPPING with sweat and COVERED in blue, CVS ice packs. And now, I am buying all sorts of icy products - such as:
and:
OK - so I didn't buy these YET...but I'm about 2 flashes away...seriously...boob sweat is no joke.
So needless to say - ice makes me very, very happy.
3. Books - yes books. Maybe this doesn't surprise most of you. I am and always have been a book worm...a bit of a book nerd if you will. But I love books - and all things book-ish. So much so in fact that my mother gave me book pajama bottoms last year for Christmas!
I love nothing more than to curl up with a good book - anywhere...If I'm on the beach - I'm reading a book. If I'm on a plane - I'm reading a book.(Let us not forget the "Dead Man Flying" incident- when I was so engrossed in a novel that I didn't notice that they guy in the seat next to me in first class WAS DEAD until I FINISHED the book) If I'm at the pool - I'm reading a book. If I'm driving the car - I'm LISTENING to a book. If I'm sick - I'm in bed reading a book. And I'm kind of particular when it come to my books. I'll read any fiction book on my Ereader. I have a Kindle and an iPad - and I will read from either. However - if I am reading a nonfiction or professional book - I MUST have the ACTUAL book in my hands. I MUST be able to highlight, underline, flag and post-it note those books. I have no use for a professional book or any nonfiction book that is an ebook. I have even gone so far as to download these books and THEN I have gone out and bought them AGAIN as hard copies! Oh the wasted money! OH the frivolity! OH the stacks and stacks and stacks of books we have in our house...and we LOVE them! PC and I STILL have the books - the actual BOOKS we read in high school and college in big plastic bins in the basement! And we love them...and YES - we pull them out and reread them on a regular basis. Our idea of a heavenly weekend is one spent in our pajamas reading. Books are my kryptonite.
4. Shoes - Is there anything that can make me happier than finding a GREAT pair of shoes? Yes - finding a GREAT pair of shoes ON SALE!!! I could wax poetic on my shoe collection. It is vast. It is beautiful. And it is growing. I LOVE shoes. I delivered my son wearing high heeled, peep-toed hot pink satin slippers with maribu feather puffs at the toes.No joke.I still have them - and they are GORGEOUS! Here's the thing about shoes that makes me happy: They always fit. It is a rare occasion where one of my babies betrays me and doesn't fit. Shoes always fit - even on fat days. They ALWAYS fit. Remember Carrie on Sex and The City and HER obsession with shoes?
Well - that's me...only I can't afford HER shoes! But I can dream...and try them on...and I have...here's a peek at some of the shoes I HAVE HAD ON MY FEET...even if for only a few moments...they have made me VERY, VERY , VERY happy:
5. Rainbow Sprinkles - weird - I know. But rainbow sprinkles ALWAYS make me a happy girl! 
I mean come on! Look at that? How can anyone look at that and be sad? And while we're on the subject - how and WHY would ANYONE order chocolate sprinkles when they could have RAINBOW sprinkles? They are like little pieces of happiness on your ice cream! Visual representations of happiness...on ICE CREAM...which is, as everyone knows - the culinary representation of happiness. Ice cream is what happiness tastes like and rainbow sprinkles are what happiness looks like!

So - there it is - 5 little things that make me really, really, really happy.
OK - 6 things if you count all things  Buddy the Elf. Now, I must sign off. All of this talk of happiness makes me want to change into my pjs and high heeled maribu feathered slippers, get a bowl of ice cream with rainbow sprinkles and settle down with a good book. (and an ice pack of course)
What makes YOU happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment