Welcome to One Busy Momma! The Blog for Busy Moms by one Busy Mom.....

Welcome to my blog. One Busy Momma is my space to rant about my life and the things that happen in it. I have a crazy life - and instead of focusing on the crazy - I like to focus on the funny. Because if I focused on the craziness - well, I'd have been shipped off to an institution long, long ago. And while, I'll admit, there are some days when being institutionalized sounds PRETTY GOOD compared to making ANOTHER diorama at 1am - I'd rather be right where I am - in my messy house with my not so perfect kids making crooked dioramas in the middle of the night.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

So - A Narcoleptic Walks Into A Car Wash...


Hi Peeps! How is everyone doing? Enjoying the "melt-down"? I am over the snow - how about you guys? I am sick of the slippery walkways and parking lots and the schedule being all messed up due to school closing and delays. I cannot remember what day it is, when anyone's assignments are due, when tests are being rescheduled for...This control freak is out-of-control AND SHE DOESN'T LIKE IT!!!

Of course, the snow hasn't been all bad - we were all together for 5 solid days and everyone is still alive and we are all still speaking to one another. We are all probably a few pounds heavier since all we could do is sit inside and eat Valentine's Day candy. The kids built amazing snowmen and a fully furnished, pimped-out snow fort. And we all got to sleep in. Which is why my current state of exhaustion is so disturbing. I am really exhausted - like tired in my bones. I finally went to the doctor yesterday and got an antibiotic for a sinus infection that I have been trying to fight off for about a month. So, that might explain why I've been so tired for the past week or so. 

Now - all Mommies know the tired-in-my-bones feeling. It happens to the best of us. And we all just keep calm and carry on. We make pit stops at Starbucks, load up on caffeine and soldier on. Unfortunately, this strategy wasn't working for me yesterday. As I said, I finally gave in and went to the doctor yesterday. I love my doctor, I really do - but the one downfall of visiting her is that she is always running late. So, if you have a 3:30 appointment, she will breeze in to see you at about 4:20. So you just have to accept it and schedule accordingly. This is why I was shocked that I was in, examined, diagnosed and outta there by 3:49! AMAZING! So, instead of doing what I should have done - gone home and put my bones to bed - I decided to use this "found" time to my advantage and get the car washed. It was disgusting after the snow. So, I popped into the local car wash, waited in line and paid for my "Total Kleen" at the Maui Car wash. I love this car wash, they are nice, they power wash your undercarriage - which sounds very dirty- AND you get to sit in your car and ride through the car wash. I LOVE sitting in the car wash. I know, I am a freak. But I do love it. It is a 5-minute break from reality. You can't hear anything, you can't talk on the phone and you can't even answer email. It is a 5-minute vacation from the rest of the world. (Now, in all fairness and in the interest of full disclosure - I also love getting an MRI and a Pap Smear because I can lie down for a few minutes and I am ALL BY MYSELF. Well, except for the doctor and nurse - but no one is demanding ANYTHING of me. I don't have to check homework, email, make dinner or listen to anyone's drama. )
So yesterday, as my car slides into the car wash and is being rinsed by high-pressured, yet gentle jets - I decide to put my head back and close my eyes for a minute. 

A Minute......or 15....because the next thing I know, I am still in the car wash, but it is not working! No water, no suds, no dryer...AND someone is banging on my window! Apparently, my wheels weren't aligned properly on the roller thing and one of the tire brushes became jammed. The car wash workers then turned off the jets and came over the loud speaker to tell me to adjust my wheels. They became "concerned" when there was no response from me or the car. So - THEY SHUT DOWN THE CAR WASH, and walked in - and found me sleeping - WITH MY MOUTH OPEN - in the car. And I was seriously sleeping - when I woke up, I had drool running down my chin. No joke. AND I woke up screaming because I didn't know where I was AND the man was BANGING away at my window. Thankfully the guy was amused - or relieved to find me alive - because he was very kind and asked me to turn my wheel so that the tire brush would become unstuck. 

Seriously - who does this happen to? How can a person fall asleep in a car wash? It is so loud. The poor man probably thought I was dead. So humiliating. I decided to pack it in after that and go home. Lesson learned? Maybe. Maybe not. It's not like I am going to get less tired as the years go on. Yet I've gotta do what I've gotta do. This Mom stuff is hardcore! Maybe I need to start liking Red Bull.... 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds a lot like me. Although actually I DO have narcolepsy. In fact, right before I was diagnosed, I used to have little 5 second "power naps" at all the stoplights on the way home. That was the only way I could get through the day. I have to say 15 years later, it's MUCH better. A little medication and a CPAP machine and I get quality sleep every night and am not sleepy during the day - most of the time. You might want to get it checked out if the Red Bull plan doesn't help. #SITSSharefest

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just might do that! Although I think what I really need is a little vacation...on an island...somewhere tropical...

    ReplyDelete