Welcome to One Busy Momma! The Blog for Busy Moms by one Busy Mom.....

Welcome to my blog. One Busy Momma is my space to rant about my life and the things that happen in it. I have a crazy life - and instead of focusing on the crazy - I like to focus on the funny. Because if I focused on the craziness - well, I'd have been shipped off to an institution long, long ago. And while, I'll admit, there are some days when being institutionalized sounds PRETTY GOOD compared to making ANOTHER diorama at 1am - I'd rather be right where I am - in my messy house with my not so perfect kids making crooked dioramas in the middle of the night.

Thursday, March 5, 2015

2 Books for your Snowy Enjoyment

OK, I enjoy a nice snow day as much as the next gal...but this is getting ridiculous. I can't remember the last time my kids had a complete, uninterrupted week of school. This winter we've baked cookies, brownies, cupcakes. We've made new recipe after new recipe. We've gained at least 5 pounds per person over here. We've become pro snow boarders - you'd think we lived in Colorado or Utah. And guess what - it's not even 8pm and we are ALREADY closed tomorrow!!! Dear Lord, help me.

So, what's a girl to do when she's not baking, cooking or cleaning on a snow day? Well, the only thing you can do is curl up with a nice cup of tea and a wonderful book. And do I have book for you! I have 2 books for you actually. 2 wonderful books that will keep you up late into the night, turning the pages, reading with a flashlight under the covers! That being said - I realize that everyone (except yours truly) is trying to write the next "Gone Girl". These 2 authors are not exceptions to that rule. However, it's been a long time since I've read a book that I have enjoyed more than these two.

Now, I must admit, the first thing that attracted me to this book was the author's last name. Anything written by a Lane girl is guaranteed to be great. And this one did not disappoint. We selected "Her"
by Harriet Lane as our March book club book. It is a story told from the perspectives of two very different women. One is an elegant, successful artist and mother to a teenage girl. The other is a flustered new mom in the throws of all that mothering 2 children under the age of 3 or 4 involves. As the story unfolds, we realize that one of these women knows the other. Interestingly, the other woman doesn't recognize her. As we go deeper and deeper into these women's lives, we begin to question their motives, their stories and ultimately, their endgames. I hesitate to say anything else about this one because the author keeps you guessing right until the very end. And I mean that quite literally. If you are looking for a page turner that you won't soon forget - pick this one up.


OH MY GOSH - this one was FANTASTIC. I actually started this one on the train this past Monday afternoon. Because what's better than being a girl on the train reading "The Girl on the Train"? (Maybe being a girl on a train drinking a glass of wine while reading...) I have a feeling that this one will make my top 10 of 2015 list - I know, it's a pretty bold call, it is only March, but this one will be hard to beat. This is another one told from the perspectives of a few different characters. By the end of the very first page, one of them is murdered. The reader spends the rest of the book furiously turning pages trying to figure out which character dies, who kills her and why someone would want her dead. Once again, the main characters are women who are as different as night and day....or are they? This is one of those stories where no one is really who they seem to be at first. Paula Hawkins has a wonderful way of drawing you into the lives of these complex, multi-dimensional characters. None of the characters are 100% good or 100% evil. (Well, OK, one of them is pretty bad!) You can't help but feel bad for the alcoholic ex-wife who stalks her ex-husband's new wife. You can't bring yourself to hate the temptress who cheated with the alcoholic's husband and stole him away. And you can't believe that life is all that perfect for the perfect couple you see from the train. I will admit, I had this one figured out well before the end. However, I still enjoyed unraveling this complex mystery. "The Girl on the Train" is one of those rare books that you can't wait to finish so that you can resolve your burning questions, but when you DO finish it you are sad beyond measure because you KNOW that you won't be able to find another book as great as this one! 

Well - that's it Peeps. I hope you enjoy these 2 books if you decide to read them. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment