Welcome to One Busy Momma! The Blog for Busy Moms by one Busy Mom.....

Welcome to my blog. One Busy Momma is my space to rant about my life and the things that happen in it. I have a crazy life - and instead of focusing on the crazy - I like to focus on the funny. Because if I focused on the craziness - well, I'd have been shipped off to an institution long, long ago. And while, I'll admit, there are some days when being institutionalized sounds PRETTY GOOD compared to making ANOTHER diorama at 1am - I'd rather be right where I am - in my messy house with my not so perfect kids making crooked dioramas in the middle of the night.

Monday, April 26, 2010

So, 2 Princesses Walked Into the Woods....

...and make it out alive! Yes my dear readers - Bella and I survived our camping adventure in the wilderness. And we actually enjoyed ourselves! Can you believe that?? Now, it was no weekend at the Ritz....it wasn't even a weekend at the Holiday inn Express - but it also wasn't the tour of Deliverance country that I was picturing.

My first clue that we were going to be OK was when I read the directions and realized that we were only 20 minutes away from home. You literally drive through a neighborhood to get to this camp site. So - it wasn't like Bella and I had to park the car and rely on our wits and questionable sense of direction to find humanity again.I also knew I'd be OK when I realized that I could get fresh, hot coffee at the Royal Farms that was about 7 minutes away.Once I had my emergency coffee connection in place - I relaxed a bit.

We ended up heading out there a night earlier than I had originally planned - Friday night. We were expecting heavy rain on Saturday night, and I knew that we'd miss the campfire if we didn't head up there on Friday night. My initial thinking was that we could stay Friday night and if it was truly awful - make like trees and leave on Saturday evening after dinner. So, we packed like maniacs - and brought waaaay too much - and got to the campground before dark. The cabins held about 10 people - bunk beds, electricity...the whole 9 yards. We wound up leaving our troop's main cabin because there wasn't room for one of Bella's girlfriends in the cabin. So 3 moms and 3 girls wound up in another 10 man cabin - and it was AWESOME!!! We were able to spread out and it wasn't crazy loud at night - so I thank the good Lord that there was "no room in the inn". That was the first thing that worked in my favor.

I did learn a few things about packing for camping. First and foremost - I probably wouldn't bring actual really cute pjs next time. I'd stick to sweats. There really isn't a secret, camp-fire girl fashion show out in the woods and the pjs were a bit of overkill. The other thing I learned was that bringing an extra bag filled with emergency shoes was really not neccessary. I brought slippers, flip-flops. wellies, sneakers, crap sneakers and pull on bad weather shoes for myself and nice and crappy sneakers, slippers and flip flops for Bella. Counting the shoes on our feet - that was 12 pairs of shoes for about a day and a half. Again - a bit of overkill - but then again - isn't some scouting motto "always be prepared'? I also will think twice before bringing my nice, goose-down filled pillows because Bella dropped mine - twice - in mulch on the way to the cabin. I won't put it back on the bed until it is professionally cleaned now because the bugs that could have crawled into my hair and ears are now probably living in the pillow waiting to invade me as I sleep.

As for my list of fears - I am happy to report that:

I was not bitten by any bugs

Nothing stung me

I did not get that nasty case of "cabin lung" that I was anticipating

My hair is no worse for wear and did not get infested by a family of bugs

So far - no under-the-skin bug eggs have been detected - although Glynnis is reveling in telling me that I probably have something called "chiggers" by now. Not Googling them cause I don't want to know....

I survived the hike in the woods and did not fall, get lost, get bitten by the infamous bel Air rattlesnake, did not get attacked by a bear or racoon or fox

I have no signs of poison ivy on any of my bits and pieces

A bear did not walk into the cabin

There were no mad men wandering in the woods

The only thing I forgot to bring was my makeup - can you believe it????Me - without my spakle or sparkle! I almost went home to get it - but I resisted the urge. And once I just gave it up to...smokey - the god of the campfire...and relaxed...it was really, really fun! The leaders planned a really relaxed trip. We had breakfast in our pajamas - and I will admit - I did get up early to shower and dress before breakfast - but I wore sweats. The girls played, made tee shirts, we went on a hike and communed with nature, our troop made lunch for the group of 50, and then the girls participated in a series of Olympic Events that were planned and executed by the older girls. And they had a freaking blast! It was the first Saturday in a really long time that I just SAT and relaxed and spent uninterrupted time with Bella. Ever since I went back to work - Saturdays and Sundays are jam packed with errands and games and practices and activities and birthday parties. And I really hate that. It was nice to sit and do nothing but laugh and truly enjoy myself.

I think the most enjoyable part of the trip was witnessing the true, pure friendships that the girls were celebrating. There was no bullying, no one was left out, no one was made to feel "less than". The girls worked and played well with everyone. Sure they have little groups and certain girls work better with certain other girls - but there was none of the mean girl business that we're starting to see in school. I was thrilled to see Bella playing and laughing with girls she has been in school with since they were 3 - girls she's been scouting with since they were 5. It did my heart good to watch her interact with other girls and realize that she's going to be OK in the friends department. For whatever reason - we really struck gold with this Brownie Troop. The girls are all strong, confident, NICE little girls - without exception. And our 3 fearless scout leaders are truly heaven sent in that they model all of those important scouting and leadership virtues for the girls.

On Saturday night, as I watched Bella bridge from Brownie Girl Scout to Junior Girl Scout - I cried, of course. I'm such a dork, I know. But, watching her take these big steps is so amazing to me. She is growing and changing so quickly now. She is still a little girl - but watching her this weekend has been amazing and eye opening. She is far more capable and independent than I give her credit for. She truly doesn't "need me" like she needed me the last time she bridged from Daisy Scout to Brownie Scout. And I think that's why I cried. I know that our goal as mothers is to help them grow those wings so that they can fly away. I could see Bella's little wings this time - whereas I couldn't the last time she bridged. It's bitter sweet to watch this happen. I just want her to be little for a little bit longer. I want her to still want to snuggle in bed with me and watch a movie. I want her to keep thinking that I have all of the answers and that I can keep her safe from the boogey-man, and clowns - who she's still horribly afraid of. These days are limited...she is in that changling phase where she is still sleeping with her beloved blankies, Pink and Pinkie...while listening to Justin Beiber on her IPOD and reading Pixie magazine.

After bridging, the girls had skits and a lip synching/dance party. It was so much fun and they all had a blast. Sunday morning arrived - and I can't say that my heart didn't sing to know that I was 20 minutes away from a HOT bubble bath. When the royal carriage (that looks surprisingly like a company-issued minivan) pulled out of the campground - my princess turned to me and said: "See Mom, that wasn't so bad - was it? You did great!" I caught my heart in my mouth - because that was exactly what I was planning on telling her.

No comments:

Post a Comment